Friday, November 7, 2008

Consolers of the Lonely

I'm going to take a minute to talk about my personal favorite album of all time.

Consolers of the Lonely by The Raconteurs.

For those of you who haven't heard of the Raconteurs, its a band made up of general badass, Jack White (Of The White Stripes), Soloist Brendan Benson, Bass player Little Jack, and on Drums, Patrick Keeler. The Raconteurs first album was called Broken Boy Soldiers, and was known for its song "Steady, As She Goes."

Now that you've got some back story, I just want to tell you about this amazing album.

This album came out March of this year, so it's by no means new, but it's still very unknown, and it just saddens me. In this album, it is evident that Jack White took control of the band. The first album had a much more mellow sound, with some classic rock feel, and tended to favor the style of Benson's solo work (With a few exceptions of course.)

This second album's style was exploding with energy. If Broken Boy Soldiers was a nap in the sun on a summer day, Consolers of the Lonely is like going for a run in the midst of a thunderstorm. The start of an album, which is always really important to me, is the album's title track. With rapid key and tempo changes, it keeps you on your toes as your ears adjust to The Raconteurs new sound. However, you are given very few breaks from that point as it heads into the fast paced (And only radio hit from the album), Salute Your Solution. The album continues to build in energy, only to culminate in the final track, Carolina Drama. This song, my favorite on the album, is a story song about a young boy who witnesses a murder. It's a slow build to a powerful finish that leaves chills running down your spine, and honestly, I can't get enough of it. Jack White's blues have never dissapointed me, not with the White Stripes, and definitely not with The Raconteurs. However, Jack isn't the only one getting glory on this album. The often underrated Brendan Benson has one of the more powerful tracks on the album, Many Shades of Black. It's a perfect exasperated break up song, and Benson pulls it off wonderfully. There really isn't a single negative thing I could say about this album, hence the fact that it's my favorite. I would recomend it to anyone who generally loves music, but especially to those who love the classics (Led Zeppelin Style), The Blues, or The White Stripes.

The Top 5 Tracks on the album:

1. Carolina Drama
2. Rich Kid Blues (Albeit, a cover, still wonderful)
3. Top Yourself (The first overtly innapropriate song I've heard Jack White sing)
4. You Don't Understand Me
5. Many Shades of Black
http://blog.news-record.com/staff/culture/The%20Raconteurs.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Hello. I don't know if it's good, that I'm writing this comment here. You will probably wonder how come polish girl came here and comment my blog. It was an accident, really. And i thought that i will write something, I don't know why.

    Whatever, take care.
    And keep smiling! ;)

    PS The Raconteurs are really good.

    ReplyDelete