Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Lots of times, People are Dumb.

Today, people were obviously all talking election (see previous post for my distaste about this topic), and I heard quite possibly one of the dumbest sentences I've ever heard uttered by anyone ever.

"It's just as powerful to not vote as it is to vote."


....Really?

Because last time I checked, that's the same as saying its louder to stay silent than it is to shout.


But this person's stupidity set aside, the statement did get me a'ponderin and what not. It got me thinking about the power of silence, or rather, the lack of power. I've seen probably 5 or 6 protests since I started high school that involve some form of volunteer based silence for one cause or another. I just think the whole concept of going unnoticed to prove a point is dumb. You know you're protesting, and you're obviously very passionate about whatever you're protesting, but the fact of the matter is, in the course of the day, if someone I barely know isn't talking, I'm not going to care, quite honestly, I'm all for anything that gets the vegetarians to stop talking for a day. So long story short, if you've got a problem, speak up, because its the only real way to be heard.



On a side note, today I drew a picture. I feel like I should post it just to lighten the mood of this post, so here it is.




1 comment:

  1. Remember that time I wrote that note on facebook asking why people were protesting the lack of Gay Rights by being silent when Gay Pride parades are so loud? And then people got really apprehensive about that? Good times.

    ReplyDelete