Saturday, January 31, 2009

Isn't It Grand? lololol.


I was perusing iTunes a few days ago when I stumbled upon this delightful little album. Now, I don't know if my audience is at all familiar with Matt & Kim, but to put it simply, they are The White Stripes but instead of being offbeat and experimental, they're hip and spritely. Grand was Matt & Kim's second effort, and it's clear that the duo has made few changes. I, however, don't have a problem with that. Matt & Kim aren't destined to be musically influential, and I've never taken them as such. These two create the adorable little songs that I'd soundtrack a teen movie to. The album starts off strong with the song "Daylight" but seems to peak at that point. While the rest of the album is by no means bad, it simply has a hard time maintaining its momentum. This was a problem that very nearly sunk The Shins' last effort, and thus I've dubbed it, "Sleeping Lessons Syndrome." The first track on the album sets a quality standard that the band can't seem to maintain, and once again, the one problem I have with this band seems to creep back into the equation. Matt and Kim are adorable. Their songs are adorable. The whole deal is adorable. However by the end of the album, you feel as though instead of dealing with an adorable baby, you've been presented with the awkward 9 year old who still purposefully calls spaghetti, 'Pasketti. The cuteness wears off quickly, and leaves you with an overall uneventful experience devoid of true musical stimulation. In the end, the album was worth the half hour I spent listening to it, and Daylight has great potential as a single song (That drum beat is pretty irresistable.) However, the album fails to have the consistent quality of the first, and just seems to be lacking something.

3 Stars out of 5


At this point, I'm just holding out for Love, Hate and Then There's You by the Von Bondies. Two more days! That album sounds fucking stupendous, and you can expect a review from me Monday night. In the meantime, stay tuned for a review of Taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment